What is the 101 Visa?

Child Visa, subclass 101, allows a child who is outside Australia to come to Australia and live with a parent who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen living in Australia. The subclass 101 Visa is an offshore permanent residency visa and once granted, you can live, study and work in Australia permanently.


Am I eligible to apply for 101 Visa?

What are the Subclass 101 Visa requirements? You may be eligible if you

  • have a parent who is a settled Australian citizen, settled permanent resident, or settled eligible New Zealand citizen and you are dependent on them.
  • are under 18 years of age or under 25 years of age and studying full time or over 18 years of age with a disability.
  • are single or not in a de facto relationship.
  • do not have any previous visa cancellations and have complied with conditions of your previous visa.
  • meet health and character requirements.


What are the benefits of the 101 Visa?

With the Child Visa you can

  • Live, work and study in Australia permanently
  • Sponsor eligible relatives to come to Australia
  • Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
  • Enrol in Australian public healthcare system
  • Apply for Australian citizenship if you are eligible


What are the costs of the 101 Visa?

The Department of Home Affairs visa cost of the Child Visa is AUD $2,665. The costs of health checks and police checks are excluded.


Processing Time

The Department of Home Affairs assesses applications on a case-by-case basis and processing time can vary from 12 to 19 months. Completing application with necessary documents, responding to any requests quickly and providing required information may decrease the waiting period.


Frequently Asked Questions

Can I bring my adopted child to Australia on the 101 Visa?

Yes, you can if a child has been adopted before they turned 18.

If I am not eligible parent, can my spouse or de facto partner sponsor my child for the 101 Visa?

Yes, if your spouse or de facto partner is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen living in Australia, he/she can also sponsor the child.

Can I apply on behalf of my children if they are under the age of 18?

As an eligible parent, you may apply for your children if they are under the age of 18.

What is the difference between the 101 Visa and 802 Visa?

They are both Child Visas but for the 101 Visa, you must be outside Australia when the application and the decision is made. Whereas you must be in Australia for the 802 Visa.


Why choose Withstand Lawyers for the 101 Visa?

At Withstand Lawyers we have made hundreds of Child Visa application process easier and faster. Our firm specialises in immigration law and has experienced legal professionals and resources required to provide you with the guidance and representation that is needed to ensure you reach your immigration goals. Our team is committed to providing a personalised service, so please book a meeting online or call us on 1800 952 901

    Free Initial Consultation

    Complete for visa eligibility advice

    Law Society