What is the 115 Visa?

Remaining Relative Visa, subclass 115, is a permanent residency visa that allows you to stay, work and study in Australia if all of your relatives are living in Australia. This is an offshore visa so you must be outside Australia when applying.


Am I eligible to apply for the 115 Visa?

What are the Offshore Remaining Relative (Subclass 115) Visa requirements? You may be eligible if you

  • have an eligible family member who is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen that sponsor you
  • do not have any other near relatives who lives outside Australia
  • have the assurance of support
  • you do not have any previous visa cancellations and have complied with conditions of your previous visa.
  • you meet health and character requirements.


What are the benefits of the 115 Visa?

With the Remaining Relative (Subclass 115) Visa you can:

  • live, work and study in Australia permanently
  • enrol in Medicare (Australia’s public healthcare scheme)
  • travel to and from Australia for 5 years
  • apply for Australian Citizenship, if you are eligible


What are the costs of the 115 Visa?

The Department of Home Affairs visa cost of the Remaining Relative Visa is AUD $6,415. You may pay this visa in 2 instalments. The costs of health checks and police certificates are excluded.


Processing Time of the 115 Visa?

Applications for the 115 Visa are subject to capping and queue. The Department of Home Affairs grants a limited number of the 115 Visa in each Migration Program year. That means when the limit is reached, no more visa is granted. Because of that reason, processing times are not available for this visa. Completing the application with the necessary documents, responding to any requests quickly and providing required information can help expedite the process.


Frequently Asked Questions of the 115 Visa?

Who are my near relatives for the 115 Visa?

Your near relative can be your parent or your partner’s biological/step parent, brother/stepbrother, sister/stepsister. It also can be your child/stepchild who has turned 18 and is not a dependent child; or child/stepchild who has not yet turned 18 years of age and is not in your or your partner’s control and care.

Can I bring my family members to Australia on the 115 Visa?

Yes, you can include your family members in your visa application.

What is the difference between the 115 Visa and 835 Visa?

They are both Remaining Relative Visas but for the 115 Visa, you must be outside Australia when the application and the decision is made. Whereas you must be in Australia for the 835 Visa.


Why choose Withstand Lawyers for the 115 Visa?

At Withstand Lawyers we have had many Offshore Remaining Relative Visa application processes for many families. Our firm specialises in immigration law and has experienced senior immigration lawyers and senior agents. The team at Withstand Lawyers is approachable and committed to providing a personalised assistance, so please book a meeting online or call us on 1800 952 901

    Free Initial Consultation

    Complete for visa eligibility advice

    Law Society