If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident that was not wholly your fault and have a claim, in Perth or any suburb in Western Australia, our motor vehicle accident lawyers can advise you on your entitlements to compensation. That is regardless of whether you or a close relative was a driver, passenger, pedestrian, motor bike rider or cyclist.

I have been involved in a car accident, what are my entitlements:

  • Medical expenses
  • Household domestic assistance expenses
  • Past and future loss of income/opportunity
  • Compensation for your pain and suffering

woman drives car in australia

I have been involved in a car accident, what is the car accident claims process?

The motor accident claims process for injured claimants who have been involved in an accident and have made a claim would have previously followed the following process:

1. Reported the motor accident via the Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA) online portal. The online portal has questions regarding the details of the accident, the details of licence plates of the vehicles involved in the accident and contact details of all parties involved in the accident.

2. Considered whether or not they needed to complete and submit a Notice of Intention to Make a Claim Form. Injured claimants are then provided with a claim reference number for medical expenses to be paid by the ICWA.

3.Negotiated a settlement with the ICWA in regards to how much compensation injured claimants are entitled to for their motor vehicle accident claim, if any.

woman desperate car accident

Frequently asked questions


What questions should I ask a personal injury lawyer about my car accident claim?

◦ Whether you are entitled to compensation

◦ What your entitlements are regarding your car accident claim

◦ What time limits apply for your car accident claim

◦ What the costs and disbursements are for your car accident claim

◦ The estimated time it will take to settle your car accident claim

Am I able to make a claim for a car accident?

The eligibility requirement to make a claim for a car accident in Western Australia is that the claimant was involved in a car accident for which they were not wholly at fault for and have been injured as a result of that car accident.

What are the time limits to make a car accident claim?

In most cases, Injured claimants in Western Australia have 3 years to commence court proceedings from the date of the car accident. There are exceptions that apply to minors and other situations. You could find out this information by contacting our firm for a free initial consultation.

Do I have to go to court to make a car accident claim?

Injured claimants do not have to commence court proceedings to make a car accident claim. Usually claims are resolved between the ICWA and the injured claimant and/or their lawyer. Most claims do not proceed to trial as they settle beforehand.

Can Withstand Lawyers assist me in my car accident claim?

If you have made a car accident claim then Withstand Lawyers can assist you by providing you with a free initial consultation. In that consultation our personal injury lawyers will guide you and make sure you know where you stand!

How much does Withstand Lawyers charge for a car accident claim?

Injured claimants do not pay for our costs upfront for their car accident claim. Our firm deducts its costs and disbursements from our injured claimants settlement monies when they successfully receive compensation. Prior to acting our firm provides our injured claimants with a cost agreement and disclosure which outlines our estimated costs. If our injured claimant do not receive any compensation then we will not charge our clients any of our costs and disbursements. If our injured claimants lose their matter in court then they would be liable for the legal costs and disbarments of the lawyers of the ICWA. Prior to commencing proceedings we advise our injured claimants whether or not they have reasonable prospects of success and the risks and costs which could arise if they lose in court.

I have been injured in a car accident, which insurer will cover my claim?

The Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA) provides insurance cover for registered vehicles in Western Australia. Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance cover is provided by ICWA only. CTP Insurance provides compensation for injured people who have been killed or injured in a motor vehicle accident. This includes pedestrians, passengers, cyclists and motorcyclists.

I have been injured in a car accident, that was not my fault, how do I identify the CTP insurer?

The Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA) is the only CTP Insurer that provides cover.

Western Australia Car accident advertising restrictions

Due to Western Australia advertising restrictions, we are limited in what information we are able to disclose on our website regarding personal injury claims. However you are able to contact our Western Australia personal injury lawyers who will provide you advice in our free initial consultation.

    Free Initial Consultation

    Complete for eligibility advice

    Law Society