Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Claim Lawyers

In New South Wales (NSW), you may be entitled to compensation under the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) scheme if you were injured in a road accident involving a motor vehicle. The CTP benefits you may be entitled to can include income support payments, medical and related expenses. You may also be entitled to a lump sum payment for past and future loss of income or opportunity and/or compensation for pain and suffering.

Our experienced CTP claim lawyers have proudly been supporting our clients claim their entitlements for years throughout NSW. If you think you are entitled to the CTP benefits for more than 6 months (if your injuries are non-minor injuries for example) our lawyers can provide you with valuable advice and/or representation. This type of guidance will assist you to know where you stand. Our senior motor accident injury lawyers can help you with your CTP claim regardless of where you reside in NSW.


sign on australian road

What is a CTP claim and what can be claimed?

Under the CTP scheme in NSW, if you were injured in a motor vehicle accident in NSW you could claim compensation. That is regardless of if you were a driver, motorbike rider, cyclist, pedestrian or passenger in the accident. you can claim income support payments for 6 months from the date of the accident regardless of whether it was your fault or the extent of your injuries. You can also claim reasonable and necessary medical expenses regardless of whether the accident was your fault and the extent of your injuries. You may not be able to claim compensation, however, if you committed a serious driving offence in the accident.

If you were mostly at fault in the accident or if your injuries were minor injuries the income support payments will cease at the end of the first 6 months. If your injuries are non minor injuries and the accident was not mostly your fault, you may be entitled to claim a lump sum payment for past and future loss of income and opportunity and/or compensation for non-economic loss.

Compensation for non-economic loss, also known as compensation for pain and suffering is awardable if your injuries that are assessed at being more than 10% permanent impairment.

In order to lodge a CTP claim, you should submit a Personal Injury Claim form to the insurer together with supporting evidence and the medical certificate. You should lodge a claim within 28 days from the date of the accident. A claim for common law damages needs to be made within 3 years from the accident date. If your injuries are assessed to be greater than 10% permanent impairment, you can make the claim anytime after that time. If your injuries are assessed to be not greater than 10% permanent impairment, you can make a claim after 20 months has passed from the date of the accident.


Our values and no win no fee policy

Our senior CTP lawyers specialise in personal injury claims which include CTP claims. Our values are to provide you with the highest degree of advice in the clearest possible terms to ensure you understand the law, entitlements and process. You will feel confident knowing that your CTP claim is being looked after by our friendly and professional CTP lawyers. Our CTP lawyers also work under our no win no fee policy which means you only pay for our legal costs if you win.

australian city road shore


What does a CTP compensation lawyer do?

Our CTP compensation lawyers will advise you on your entitlements and are able to also act on your behalf for your CTP claim. That means our CTP lawyers can advise throughout the process, gather evidence in support of your CTP claim and deal with the insurer and third parties on your behalf. Unless you are a CTP lawyer, you may not have much experience in CTP claims meaning you may not know the extent of what your entitled to, the time limits that apply and the extent of compensation you may be entitled to as well. There is no same CTP claim, every claim is different and every payout is different. However, our straight forward legal advice will comfort you in knowing where you stand from the start of the CTP claim process.

When should I consult a CTP compensation lawyer?

You can consult our CTP compensation lawyers at any point in your motor accident injury claim process. We recommend consulting our CTP lawyers as soon as you know the accident has caused you injuries as there are strict time limits that apply and there is no cost to you given, we offer a Free Claims Assessment.

How much do CTP lawyers charge?

If do not receive a lump sum payout then our CTP lawyers will not charge you. If you do a receive a lump sum payout our CTP lawyers will deduct our costs from your lump sum payout, also known as settlement monies. We recommend you contact our CTP lawyers who will do a Free Claims Assessment for you either by phone or in person. During the Free Claims Assessment our CTP lawyers will be able to inform you how much we believe our costs will be.

Where can I make a CTP claim in NSW?

Our offices are conveniently located in Northern Beaches, Sydney CBD, Bexley, Wollongong, Newcastle, Campbelltown, Liverpool, Penrith, Parramatta and Blacktown. Our senior motor accident injury lawyers also offer home visits for our injured clients.

*Minor injury

A minor physical injury is an injury to tissue that connects, supports or surrounds other structures or organs of the body (such as muscles, tendons, ligaments, menisci, cartilage, fascia, fibrous tissues, fat, blood vessels and synovial membranes), but not an injury to nerves or a complete or partial rupture of tendons, ligaments, menisci or cartilage.


    Free Initial Consultation

    Complete for eligibility advice

    Law Society